FRAME (Faculty Reaching for Academic Medical Excellence) is offered to all full time junior faculty (i.e., instructors, senior instructors and assistant professors). Women and minority faculty are strongly encouraged to apply. FRAME provides participants with the tools and time for individualized career self-reflection; a list of campus resources to support one’s work; guidance and insights from university leaders; and the opportunity to build a cohort of colleagues within the School of Medicine.
The program consists of seven half-day sessions, including two individualized one-hour coaching sessions with a Board Certified Coach. The curriculum includes activities in the following areas:
- Articulating your values and defining individual success
- Navigating and working within the culture of academic medicine
- Developing a career vision and career action plan
- Balancing work-life integration and maximizing effective time management to avoid burnout
- Learning best practices in networking, mentoring, sponsorship
- Identifying campus resources for working with students, honing presentation and teaching skills, and utilizing library resources
- Advancing your academic career (tenure-track and non-tenure track)
- Successfully managing an effective team (i.e., lab, project management)
- Developing research and grants management skills to ensure future success
- Working with diverse teams
- Understanding micro-aggressions and unconscious bias
- Improving your communication skills (e.g., writing)
- Mapping future steps on the leadership journey
Session I August 25, 2023: Who You Are in the Larger Context
Session II September 22, 2023: Defining Success and Developing a Plan
Session III October 27, 2023: Connections, Internal and Extern
Session IV December 1, 2023: Teaching and Presenting
Session V January 26, 2024: Academic Advancement and Scholarship
Session VI February 23, 2024: Teams and Inclusive Excellence
Session VII March 22, 2024: Onward to the Future
Classes are selected with an emphasis on diverse faculty with respect to gender, race, ethnicity, and institutions. There is a $450 fee to participate in this program. CMEs are available.
The 2023-2024 program includes 7 half day sessions that will run from August, 2023 through March, 2024. The program also includes two coaching sessions with a Board Certified Coach. Applications are now closed for the 2023-2024 program.